Uniform Policy Do’s and Don’ts
We are rightly proud of the way in which our parents support our uniform policy. From time to time fashions change and young people do try to encourage parents to purchase uniform that is not suitable. This will be challenged, and replacement uniform will have to be purchased.
As a rule, please always buy items that are sold as school uniform – please refer to the guidelines below as these are not always suitable. If you are in any doubt please contact your child’s progress leader.
Current ‘fads’ that are NOT PERMITTED as suitable Academy uniform include:
- Black jeans
- Skinny and tapered trousers
- Trousers with gold/silver detail/zips on show
- Short skirts – please make sure that all skirts are near to the knee
- Shoes/boots with studs on them
- Hoodies – these are not to be worn at all inside the Academy and will be confiscated. Should your child need coats then please purchase one to be worn during the winter months. Once in the Academy there is no need for a child to have to go outside during colder times of the year.
- Jewellery and make up are not allowed. Please do not allow your child to have piercings of any kind during term time, and think carefully about holiday times – they will have to remove these when they are in the Academy, so please ensure they are done over a long holiday – at the beginning! For Health and Safety reasons all students are asked to remove all piercings. This includes any body piercings.
- No acrylic or false nails and no nail varnish.
- Fashion belts are not acceptable as part of the school uniform.
- The Academy reserves the right to determine that a student’s hairstyle is inappropriate. This includes the cut of a student’s hair and colouring. For example, ‘tramlines’ and ‘mohicans’ and other unusual styles are not allowed. Severe head shaving is also not permitted. Similarly, hairstyles which incorporate bright/unnatural coloured dyed hair, and where the colouring is in stark contrast to the natural colour of the student’s hair, are not allowed. Hair that has been ‘dipped’ and is very clearly in contrasting colours is not permitted.
- PE Kit – the academy insist that academy PE kit is worn for all PE lessons and PE activities. Please do not purchase shorts, or running leggings that have colours or logos on them. They need to be plain black.
If you have any doubt please contact the academy for further guidance, rather than have to re-purchase items of clothing. We try to ensure that our policy does not involve items such as skirts and trousers which can only be bought at the academy as this is expensive, and we do not want to have to do this.
Thank you in advance for your support and co-operation in this matter. Our students overall are a real credit to your support in this area.
Personal Protection Requirements
Students must follow the Health and Safety guidelines provided in individual departments with regards to wearing personal protection equipment.
Equipment required for success at Thornaby Academy
We consider that to improve study skills and standards of work, there is a minimum of personal equipment that students should bring to the Academy for work:
- Coloured pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- Protractor and compass
- 30cm ruler
We look forward to your co-operation in ensuring that your son/daughter has all this equipment and brings it to the Academy each day.
Students will have access to ICT resources within the Academy day and during enrichment time to support independent study. Access to a computer with internet provision at home will be an advantage to students.
The Academy will provide all equipment such as exercise books and specialist equipment. Textbooks are provided in every subject for all our students. All textbooks and specialist equipment are to be returned to the Academy after use. Students are expected to pay for lost or damaged books.
Parents are requested to sign the Home/Academy Agreement and the E-safety/ICT Usage Statement in the Student Planner.